A few quick things to tip off your NBA trade deadline day. The deadline, by the way, is 3 p.m. EST:
* Several sources have said that if the three-team deal between the Lakers, Timberwolves and Trail Blazers takes place, it might be Luke Ridnour of the T-Wolves going to the Blazers. Initial reports had Lakers point guard Steve Blake as the man headed to Portland. According to reports, the trade would also send Michael Beasley from the Wolves to the Lakers, and Jamal Crawford from the Blazers to the Wolves. The Blazers would also receive one of the Lakers’ two first-round draft picks.
* If Ridnour is indeed the man headed to the Blazers, that would significantly decrease the chances that the Lakers trade for Cavaliers point guard Ramon Sessions. Hard to envision L.A. wanting another point guard with Blake and starter Derek Fisher already on the team.
* The Cavs were having trade discussions with the Hornets for center Emeka Okafor — but the Hornets ended talks when the Cavs pressed about obtaining one of the Hornets’ two first-round picks, reported the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
* After a wild ride that began when the lockout ended, it appears the Magic are determined to trade Dwight Howard today. The Nets and Rockets are the teams being mentioned as possible destinations. Here is the story from the Orlando Sentinel.
* Despite playing .500 ball since the All-Star break, it doesn’t seem likely that the Heat will make a deal. “Our focus is on this group,” Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said following the team’s loss at Chicago on Wednesday.
* Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby also said he doesn’t expect a trade involving his team to take place. “There is nothing that appeals to us,” Babby told Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic.
*The Pacers have two roster vacancies and are $14 million under the salary cap. That makes them the ideal candidate to land someone in a trade. According to Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star, that someone could be Hornets center Chris Kaman.
* Stay tuned for more in this very space throughout the day.